Dal is essential in Indian cooking and forms the main course of our meal. This is an accompaniment of the traditional kind, to those who love the southern style of cooking. This dish is always liked by the older members of the family as it is passed through generations.
The ingredients that you need are:
- turdal cooked 1 cup
- tomatoes 3
- chilli powder 1tsp
- sambar powder 1tsp
- tamarind pulp a small cup
- salt to taste
- oil 2tsp
- mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida 1/4 tsp
- turmeric powder 1/4tsp
- Wash and cut the tomatoes.
- Take oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. As they crackle, add the asafoetida,turmeric powder and tomatoes and salt. Sprinkle some water and close the lid.
- When done,add the cooked dal to it. Let boil.
- Now add the tamarind pulp,sambar powder and chilly powder to it. Keep on a low flame and simmer for five minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.
- Tamarind pulp is extracted by soaking the tamarind in water for sometime.
- Tur dal is evenly cooked by adding some turmeric powder to it.
[social_share style=”bar” align=”horizontal” heading_align=”inline” facebook=”1″ twitter=”1″ google_plus=”1″ linkedin=”1″ pinterest=”1″ /]