sabudana vada in appe pan
Sabudana Vada in Appe pan/ sago snack
Spread the love

Sabudana or Sago is commonly used in Karnataka and Maharashtra  states of India to prepare various kind of dishes. From payasam (sweet porridge) to wada (fritters), there are different kinds which are tasty and ideal for fasting and regular days. Today, I am presenting to you a healthier version , Sabudana wada in appe pan.

The wadas fried in oil are definitely tastier, but they are very addictive and high in calories. I prefer shallow frying  and hence made them in the appe pan.

Appe pan is available in the market in all major cities. Nirali, Nirlep, Pigeon and Hawkins are some of the popular brands.

sabudana wada

sabudana wada

Here is the recipe and step by step pictorial description  below.

Sabudana vada in Appe pan
Recipe Type: Snacks
Cuisine: Maharashtrian
Author: Jayashree @evergreendishes.com
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 50
Tasty balls of sago made guilt free in appe pan.
  • sabudana 1/2 kg
  • ground nut 1 bowl
  • green chilly 8
  • potato 1
  • cumin 1tsp
  • oil for shallow frying
  1. Pre-requisites
  2. Wash the sabudana in water and then soak it with a little water above them for four hours.
  3. Roast the groundnuts and let cool. Then grind it coarsely.
  4. Boil the potato and keep it aside.
  5. Grind green chilly and cumin to a paste.
  6. To make the dough :
  7. Take the soaked sabudana and slightly mash it with hand.
  8. Add the groundnut powder, mashed poitato, green chilly and salt. Mix well.
  9. To make the wada :
  10. Make small lemon sized balls.
  11. Heat the appe pan.
  12. Put a few drops of oil in each of the pockets of the mould.
  13. Keep the balls and cook on medium flame. Drizzle some oil over them.
  14. Turn them around with a spoon or fork after three minutes.
  15. Once they are brown, remove them and serve hot.
Notes
  • Cooking on slow flame, makes them more crispier.
  • To deep fry, follow the same recipe, but flatten them like tikkis and deep fry. At this stage, you can even deep freeze some to use later. First, flatten them and put them on a wide plate and deep freeze, Later, keep them covered in a container and use them when needed.

soaked sago

soaked sago

Soaked sago after four hours. They are swollen up and soft to touch,

roasted groundnuts

roasted groundnuts

Roasted groundnuts, I use them with the skin.

to be grinded

to be grinded

Green chilly and cumin to be grinded sans water. I used eight chillies and it was slightly spicy.. Adjust them to your needs.

ingredients at a glance

ingredients at a glance

All the ingredients at a glance. Ground nut powder, boiled potato and chilly paste.  I used only one potato !

mixing of ingredients

mixing of ingredients

Mixing of ingredients, chiily paste, groundnut powder and lastly potatoes along with salt.

making of balls

making of balls

Shaping into balls.

a few balls are ready

a few balls are ready

A few balls are ready to be cooked.

being cooked in appe pan

being cooked in appe pan

Heat the appe pan. Put a few drops of oil in the pockets and slowly keep the balls to  cook. Cook on medium flame and after sometime turn them around.

Sabudana wada in appe pan  are ready to serve. You may use tomato ketchup or green chutney along with it.

sabudana vada in appe pan

sabudana vada in appe pan

Serve with hot tea !

Take a tip:

The sabudana should be swollen and soft to touch. If not, they will not be good to eat.

Pin it for later:

sabudana vada in appe pan

sabudana vada in appe pan

Here is the Sabudana Khichdi recipe if you ever want to recreate.

Sending this to Saucy Saturdays Link up 54 and Lou Lou Girls Linky Party

If you ever make this recipe, take a picture and share it by tagging @foodiejayashree on Instagram or @evergreendishes on Facebook. I will be glad to see and share your creation further.
Check out my e-books on Amazon.

Did you know that mint leaves stay fresh in a wide steel container? It is best to keep them with the stalks and use as required. Subscribe to get a Book of Handyhints !

1. Piyali

These vadas are so yummy J. Love the idea of the Appe PAN. Brilliant dear.

Thankyou so much Piyali

2. Anu - My Ginger Garlic Kithcen

Sabudana vada in appe pan sounds like a super healthy and brilliant idea! I don’t have appe pan, but I will use my cake pop maker for this! Lovely share, Jayshree! 🙂

Thankyou Anu , glad you liked it.

3. shubha

Super healthy Vadas J.. yummy!!

Thankyou Shubha dear

• Maria

Amazing recipe to try! Healthy and tasty! I would also prefer the steaming method for guilt free indulgence.

• Hem lata srivastava

Looks really amazing. Today is my fast and I have already soaked sabudana and I am going to make it with your process

4. Lata Lala

Sabudana vada in appe pan sounds a brilliant idea with few drops of oil ! I have appe pan, but I have never tried these in appe pan ever.
    Lovely share

5. Priya Suresh

Appe pan is definitely a fabulous alternative to avoid deep frying.. Lovely and very brilliant idea to use appe pan for making sabudana wada..Guilt free wadas there.

Very healthy and delicious Vada that too in Apple pan. Thanks for sharing this healthy recipe.

7. Padma

I too love to prepare sabudana vadas in appe pan…Yummy looking vadas are tempting me to make them soone….Yummy share 🙂

8. Shobha Keshwani

It is amazing how appe pan is coming handy for making so many other food items too.. healthy version of sabudana vada looks nice.

9. spiceaffairs2016

Love sabudana vadas but as they are deepfried avoid making them more often, but these appe pan version sounds so cool, now I will enjoy them without any guilt anytime , thanks for sharing.

10. curryandvanilla

I love appes and sabudana vada! Now, making it in the appe pan will make it healthy too! Lovely share dear!

11. poonampagar

Making Sabudana Wada in appe pan is a brilliant idea Jayashree ! They look so inviting !

12. Annapurnaz

My daughter is a big fan of sabudana vada, but I make it occasionally as it absorbs lot of oil on frying . Making it in an appam pan is a great idea, thus making it a healthy and guilt free snack. Will try next time

The appe pan has certainly changed the way we make fried snacks in our kitchens. A guilt free indulgence of the ever popular sabudan vada without frying it. I love it.

• jhumuhere

You have shared a lovely snack recipe that too using very less oil. Love these guiltfree snacking idea

14. Jolly

Deliciously made instant Sabudana Vada in appe pan. Such an interesting breakfast idea.. superb share..

15. Nisha Ramesh

I love how Appe pan is so versatile. Most of the deep fried items can be made in it. Sabudana vada looks so good Jayashree. 🙂

16. sizzlingtastebuds

use of appe pan make this delicacy totally guiltfree n delish too !

17. Preethicuisine

Appe pan is such a boon.Sabudana vada in appe pan is so healthy and there is no compromise in taste. Can gorge on them guilt free. I love Sabudana vada.

1. Pomegranate Chaat - […] A few healthy snacks from the blog : How to make Chiwda, Tricolour Dhokla, Sabudana Wada in Appe Pan…
  2. Sabudana Khichdi | Evergreendishes - […] but somehow, this dish had not made to the blog. Now, I got a chance to put it here.…

FIND US EVERYWHERE

About

Hello and Welcome to my blog! I am Jayashree from India. An enthusiastic blogger, with a zest for life.  I believe in living life to the fullest.

Cooking has been my passion. I have always loved to try new recipes.  Writing has been a feel good factor and extremely  loving it. With these two passions of mine, my culinary blog was born. Read More…

ALSO FIND US ON

Popular categories

Related Post

Baked Katori Chaat | Katori Chaat recipe

Baked Katori Chaat | Katori Chaat recipe

Katori Chaat makes a quick snack to serve as appetiser or weekend menu  when everyone is at home. The baked version is tasty and guilt-free.  What is Chaat ? Chaat is a kind of savoury  snack from the Indian sub-cintinent. The word Chaat is derived from the Hindi word...

Rava Dhokla Recipe | How to make rava dhokla

Rava Dhokla Recipe | How to make rava dhokla

Rava Dhokla is a healthy snack from Gujarati cuisine. It is ideal to serve for breakfast or as after school snack. It is soft, fluffy and gets ready in 30 minutes. Rava Dhokla recipe is a no mess, straight forward recipe. You take the right ingredients and follow the...

Corn Dhokla | Makki Ka Dhokla

Corn Dhokla | Makki Ka Dhokla

Corn Dhokla / Makki ki dhokla  is an instant food ready within 30 minutes. It is light and ideal as evening snack. One can pack it in the lunch box too. Dhokla is a popular Gujarati snack. It is non-fried snack and usually made of gram flour. But today, different...

Cooking is a wonderful job if you love it. It helps you to make tasty dishes for your loved ones. But it can be a chore, if one has many errands at hand. Thus, one needs to cook efficiently. It can be done by using the handy hints which make cooking easier, by saving the time or making better dish by using an ingredient instead of other. Here are a hundred handy hints which I have put them in two different categories. One is store wise and the other is cook wise.