Potatoes are not only handy when we do not have any vegetables in the refrigerator, they are versatile too. One can use them in all the dishes, yes even sweets too, they do make a halwa of it ! Yes, today’s dish is of potato, but not a sweet one. I will be presenting you with Frankie or Potato Wrap , as some say it.
I have been making Frankie quite often as everyone likes it at home. It is not only filling but can be packed for the lunch box too. I have tweaked the recipe to my needs and have been following the same.
It’s again time for our blog hop with the theme as “Anything with Potatoes “. Thus, there will be an array of dishes for you to have a glance.
Frankie, Potao Wraps
- For the stuffing : Measurement: 1cup = 200ml
- potatoes 4
- onion 2
- chilly powder 2tsp
- dry mango powder 1/2tsp
- garam masala powder 1/2 tsp
- salt to taste
- turmeric powder a pinch
- For the covering :
- wheat flour 1 cup
- all purpose flour 1 cup
- clarified butter 1tsp
- salt a pinch
- water for kneading
- For the paste:
- mint leaves 1/2 cup
- coriander 1cup
- green chilly 2
- garlic 2 cloves
- ginger 1/2 inch
- salt to taste
- Other ingredients:
- all purpose flour for dusting
- oil for shallow frying
- a little water for binding
- Pre-requisites :
- Boil the potatoes. Let cool. Remove the skin and mash it.
- Cut the onions finely.
- Grind all the ingredients under ” for the paste”
- To make the dough :
- Put the both the flour in a wide bowl. Add ghee and salt and mix it well to get a crumbly texture. Add little water and make a firm dough. Cover it with a cloth and keep aside.
- To make the filling :
- Add the onions and the dry ingredients to the mashed potatoes. Mix it well and keep it aside.
- To make the frankie:
- Take a small lemon sized ball of dough and roll it into a thin circle.
- Heat a skillet. I prefer using two skillets, one for dry roasting and one for sauteing, but you can use only skillet .
- Put the rolled phulka on the skillet.
- After a few seconds, flip it to the other side.
- Take it on a plate and smear some green paste over it.
- Take a ball of the mixture and place it in the middle of the phulka.
- Take the edge and cover it over the filling.
- Repeat the same for the other side by applying some water.
- Close the tiny openings at the top.
- Put it on the skillet and drizzle some oil over it.
- Cook it on medium flame until light spots are visible.
- Flip it to the other side and let cook it properly.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup
MAKING OF FRANKIE IN STEPS :
Wheat flour, self raising flour, clarified butter and salt are put in a wide bowl.
Boiled potatoes and finely chopped onions, these are the primary ingredients of the filling.
mint leaves, coriander, green chilly, garlic and salt are made to a paste in the mixie.
Mash the potatoes, add the onions, dry mango powder, chilli powder, chat masala and salt
Mix all the ingredients together and keep it aside.
At first, mix the dry ingredients to a crumbly texture. Add little water and make a stiff but elastic dough. Cover and keep it.
Take a small lemon sized ball of the dough and roll it into a thin circle.
Heat a skillet, and dry roast for a few seconds on both the sides.
Smear some green paste over it.
Take a ball of the filling and place it the middle of the roasted phulka.
Close one side of it. Apply a little water on the top side and the adjacent side, so that we can bind them.
The other side is covered, close the ends too.
Put it on a skillet and drizzle some oil over it.
Roast well on both the sides.
Frankie or Potato wrap is ready to serve !
Here are the other dishes with potato. Do check them !
- Vani – Alu Bhujia
- Poornima- Baked Samosas
- Piyali-Bhapa Aloo
- Padma- Chettinad Potato Fry
- Shubha-Aloo Halwa
- Swati- Aloo Matar Parcels
- Parvathy- Swiss Pancakes
[social_share style=”bar” align=”horizontal” heading_align=”inline” text=”” heading=”” facebook=”1″ twitter=”1″ google_plus=”1″ linkedin=”1″ pinterest=”1″ link=”” /]
Subscribe to get a book of handyhints for free !