Kala Chana Salad / Black Chickpea Salad / Kala Chana Chaat
Spread the love

Kala Chana Salad is a tasty and healthy salad. It is an easy to make snack for the evenings. It is vegan and gluten-free.

Some days are a bit dull, we feel bored to cook but need something tasty on the platter. This salad comes handy, it can be assembled with just a handful of ingredients. It is ideal to serve as a light snack too.

Nutrition:

Kala Chana is rich in proteins and fibre. It also contains carbohydrates, vitamins like B6, C, folate and minerals such as magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorous.

Benefits of Kala Chana

1. It is a good source of proteins for vegetarians.
  2. It is diabetic friendly. It helps to keep the blood sugar levels balanced throughout the day.
  3. It helps in weight loss. Roasted chana provides a good amount of fibre and protein. It keeps satiated for a longer period.
  4. The iron content in it helps to prevent anaemia and boosts the energy levels.
  5. The fibre helps in reducing the constipation disorders.

Uses :

1. It can be used in numerous ways, as for breakfast, with chapati  to make delicious dhaba style kala chana or  a simple, no onion garlic sundal for fasting days.

About the event:

Sending this to theme”Salads” at Shhhh Secretly Cooking Challenge. It is a monthly event, theme is suggested by a member, members are paired and work with the secret ingredients given. The theme was suggested by Kalyani, a talented blogger. I loved her  Barley Summer Salad and Onion Sesame Pull Apart Bread . I was paired with an old friend and wonderful blogger Shobana Vijay, she gave me black chickpea and lemon juice as the secret ingredients and I have prepared this one. We enjoyed this salad, it makes a good snack too. I had given Shobha, salt and raw mango as the ingredients and she made the healthy  Sprouted Moth Salad. I loved her recently published  chocolate almond cake, looks so delicious.

shhh cooking secretly

Kala  Chana Salad / Black Chick Pea Salad

Ingredients:

• 1 bowl black chana
  • 1 onion
  • 1 tomato
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder

Method:

1. Wash and soak them overnight.
  2. Next day, discard the water, wash and cook with fresh water in a pressure cooker. Let the pressure release by itself.
  3. Cut onion, tomato and cucumber finely.
  4. Drain the water and keep it aside.
  5. In a wide bowl put the boiled chana. Add the vegetables, salt and pepper powder.
  6. Add lemon juice.
  7. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander.

Kala Chana Salad

Black Chana Salad is tasty and healthy, ideal to serve as a snack also.

• 1 bowl black chana
  • 1 onion
  • 1 to mato
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder

1. Wash and soak them overnight.
  3. Cut onion, tomato and cucumber finely.
  4. Drain the water and keep it aside.
  6. Add lemon juice.
  7. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander.

Recipe Notes

• The boiled water can be used in soups.

Pin it for later :

black chana salad / chick pea salad

If you have liked this post, do share it with your family and friends. If you ever make this, take a picture and share it by tagging @foodiejayashree on Instagram or @evergreendishes on Facebook or Twitter.

Let’s be connected, the follow buttons are on the side bar. Subscribe to get all updates and an e-book for free!

1. The Girl Next Door

A simple salad that looks super refreshing and delicious! This black chana salad is a favourite snack at our place too. 🙂

• Shobana Vijay

Black Channa salad is very nutritious and healthy for growing kids which is the best protein we give it them. Superb dear and keep rocking.

I love kala chana and sometimes make a similar salad but also add a bit of boiled potato. Simple, healthy and filling too.

3. priya vj

Kala chana is one of my fav and I can have it as Sundal or salad anytime . Love the way you have prepared the salad with minimal but flavorful ingredients and mild dressing

4. sujithaeasycooking

A protein rich salad, a bowl of salad will be enough for the dinner time. Diet friendly delicious kala channa Salad with loads of veggies.

5. Poonam Bachhav

Kala chana salad is protein rich and filling snack. Love it to the core.

6. Renu Agrawal Dongre

One of my favorite all time salad. Healthy, filling and protein rich.

7. Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth

This is one chat that I really love. I can munch on it at any given time…

8. vasusvegkitchen

kala chana salad looks very tasty, this salad is fav to all at my place. I and hubby love to have it anytime, loved your version by adding cucumber in it.

9. Anu Kollon

I usually make black chana sundal. Never tried to make a salad with it. Must try.

10. shobhakeshwani

This is a very healthy salad. Black Chana is loaded with nutrition

11. Kalyani

Kala channa Sundal is made for ganpati chaturthi .. this salad with all that lime juice and goodness is tempting to try soon

12. Preethicuisine

Kala chana salad is so delicious and nutritious. Love this protein rich salad that is so easy to make.

13. themadscientistskitchen

One of my favourites is kala chana.It isso delicious that I can eat it just plain boiled too. Love this salad make my mouth water.

14. namscorner18

I always cook extra chickpeas when making some chole and enjoy it as salad. power packed and protein rich salad.

15. Seema Doraiswamy Sriram

This is one protein rich salad with the apenyst and the chickpeas. Jayashree. I have my weekly prep for chickpeas and other beans, so i aure this will be next on the menu.

16. priya satheesh

I just love this protein rich salad. Simple yet nutritious salad.

FIND US EVERYWHERE

About

Hello and Welcome to my blog! I am Jayashree from India. An enthusiastic blogger, with a zest for life.  I believe in living life to the fullest.

Cooking has been my passion. I have always loved to try new recipes.  Writing has been a feel good factor and extremely  loving it. With these two passions of mine, my culinary blog was born. Read More…

ALSO FIND US ON

Popular categories

Related Post

Kashmiri Tomato Chutney | Spicy Tomato Chutney Recipe

Kashmiri Tomato Chutney | Spicy Tomato Chutney Recipe

Kashmiri Tomato Chutney is flavoursome with a hint of spices, it is versatile to use with chapati, idli or dosa. I was browsing through my diary and I found this recipe scribbled in the middle of the book. Recently, we visited Kashmir and it was a wonderful trip. We...

Chana dal chutney / how to make bengal gram chutney

Chana dal chutney / how to make bengal gram chutney

Chana Dal chutney makes a good accompaniment with idli, dosa, gundapongal and even hot, steamed rice. What is chutney ? Chutney is an integral part of lunch/ thali  in Indian cuisine. It is one of the essentials in any South Indian home as the breakfast mainly...

Tuvar and Capsicum Masala

Tuvar and Capsicum Masala

Tuvar and Capsicum Masala is a winter treat, ideal to pair with chapati or phulka. It is vegan and gluten-free. It makes a good side dish for lunch, brunch or dinner. Tuvar lilva or fresh pigeon peas in a winter crop, it is commonly used in Gujarati households to make...

Cooking is a wonderful job if you love it. It helps you to make tasty dishes for your loved ones. But it can be a chore, if one has many errands at hand. Thus, one needs to cook efficiently. It can be done by using the handy hints which make cooking easier, by saving the time or making better dish by using an ingredient instead of other. Here are a hundred handy hints which I have put them in two different categories. One is store wise and the other is cook wise.