Besan Sev / Ompudi
Besan Sev/ Ompudi
Spread the love

Ompudi or besan sev is a popular snack which is cherished by all. It is ideal to store in the jar as a dry snack. It is commonly made during festivities in South India.

Over the years, I have realised few things about this recipe. This is the easiest one to make of all the dry snacks. It requires lesser efforts and the ingredients are easily available anytime at home. Moreover, it does not absorb much oil. It pairs well with south indian dishes such as poha and upma.

Ingredients :

Measurement used: 1cup =250ml

• gram flour 2 cups
  • rice flour 2tbsp
  • ajwain  powder 2tsp
  • chilli powder 2tsp
  • turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
  • asafoetida a pinch
  • water for kneading
  • oil for frying

Equipments :

kadai, ladle, serving plate, chakli press with medium hole nozzle, absorbent paper, air tight container

Method :

• Take the  flour in a wide bowl. Add chilli powder,salt, turmeric powder,asafoetida , chilli powder and mix well. Heat the oil in a kadai. As it heats, put two table spoon of oil to this and knead it with adequate quantity of water to a stiff dough.
  • Grease some oil to the press. The nozzles can be changed, use the one with medium size hole for this recipe.
  • Take a ball of the dough, put it into it and slowly press it into the oil in circular.
  • Deep fry by spreading some oil over it . After sometime, turn it to other side.
  • Once it is brown in colour, remove it on an absorbent paper.
  • When cool, store in an air tight container.
Besan Sev / Ompudi

besan sev /ompudi

Pin it for later:

Besan Sev /Ompudi

Besan Sev / Ompudi

This was one of the first few recipes that I had published and now I have redone it with better pictures. Sending this to Foodies_Redoing Old Post 9, a Facebook group which I am part of, we redo one post every fortnight.

If you have liked this post, do leave a comment and share it further. You can even pin it on Pinterest for further reference.

If you ever try making this, do take a picture and share it with me by tagging @foodiejayashree on Instagram or @evergreendishes on Facebook.

Subscribe to get book of handyhints for free ! Glad if you can share it.

Thankyou so much Anu

1. Gauri

Nice, my mom used to make sev at home…brought back memories. I dont have the press-machine here, or else would have tried for sure 🙂

Thankyou Gauri

2. Shubha

Yummy delicious snack.. perfect with a cup of tea!!

Thankyou dear Shubha

3. kushi

This looks so crispy and yummy dear!

Thankyou Kushi

4. Jagruti

yummy and crunchy snack!

Such an important snack to have at home for anytime and any day. Adding rice flour to make the besan sev more crunchy is a good idea.

6. poonampagar

I make besan Sev every year for Diwali but never added rice flour to it. This time will try your method.

Thankyou for the visit. Do try and let me know.

7. Renu Agrawal Dongre

One of the must snack during diwali or any time for us. We love to sprinkle it on any breakfast dish or just enjoy with a cuppa.

8. Lathiskitchen

I love such crunchy snacks with my tea. This Diwali will try this.

9. Sasmita Sahoo Samanta

Esan sev is one of my fav snack anytime… Addition of rice flour must be giving a nice crunch to the sev here jaya

10. Archana

Besan sev is our favorite snack. I love how easily you have made it. I must try making at home and stop buying it.

FIND US EVERYWHERE

About

Hello and Welcome to my blog! I am Jayashree from India. An enthusiastic blogger, with a zest for life.  I believe in living life to the fullest.

Cooking has been my passion. I have always loved to try new recipes.  Writing has been a feel good factor and extremely  loving it. With these two passions of mine, my culinary blog was born. Read More…

ALSO FIND US ON

Popular categories

Related Post

Sajje Rotti Recipe | Pearl millet Roti | Bajra Roti

Sajje Rotti Recipe | Pearl millet Roti | Bajra Roti

Sajje Rotti / Pearl Millet Roti / Bajra Roti is a vegan and gluten-free, unleavened flat bread from South India. It is usually made crisp and served with different accompaniments. It is commonly prepared during Sankranti in South India.  What is Makar Sankranti ?...

Sweet Pongal Recipe | Sakkarai Pongal

Sweet Pongal Recipe | Sakkarai Pongal

Sweet Pongal is one of the sweets made during festivals. Sugar is usually added but jaggery can also be put to it. It gives a good, rustic taste. About Sweet Pongal / Sakkarai Pongal Sweet Pongal /Sakkarai Pongal  is one of the delicacies that we can make in 30...

Festive Sweets for Diwali

Festive Sweets for Diwali

Diwali is few days away, what are the sweets and savoury snacks that you are making? If you are a last minute planner like me, here is an exhaustive list of sweets from the blog. Some are ideal for lunch menu while a few like ladoo and halwa can be stored for a couple...

Cooking is a wonderful job if you love it. It helps you to make tasty dishes for your loved ones. But it can be a chore, if one has many errands at hand. Thus, one needs to cook efficiently. It can be done by using the handy hints which make cooking easier, by saving the time or making better dish by using an ingredient instead of other. Here are a hundred handy hints which I have put them in two different categories. One is store wise and the other is cook wise.